Categorized | Featured

The Hellevator’at Purgatory Pass

Posted on 09 October 2012 by admin

photo by Kevin O’Hare
The saloon doors will be open at 7pm Friday, Oct. 19 and Saturday, Oct 20, as well as Friday, Oct. 26 and Saturday, Oct. 27 at the Chamber of Darkness Haunted House in Monroe. The newest addition is the ‘Hellevator’ which took months to build.

By Gini Bramlett
For the Tribune

MONROE – Purgatory Pass is back for its second season at the Chamber of Darkness Haunted House in Monroe. The ‘Hellevator’, which took the ‘gang’ months to create, is the newest addition.
“I don‘t want to give too much away, but it has been months in design and building, but worth the wait,” said Lorrie O’Hare, director of Share and Scare Productions and a Monroe resident.  The haunted house is on the Belchamber property located at 24800 Hwy. 99 W. across from the City Park.
The saloon doors will be open Oct. 19, 20, 26 and 27 from 7-11p.m. Admission is $7 at the door, but if you bring two cans of non-perishable food, $1 will come off the admission price.
All the proceeds and donations are distributed locally. Last year’s proceeds benefited seven various organizations. Lorrie said that recipients of this year’s proceeds will be determined after gross sales are reviewed.
Guests will enter Purgatory through a 32 ft. mine shaft and encounter The Ghost Train. The Purgatory Motel is accepting ’reservations’ from those who arrive on the ‘Hellevator’. And, don’t forget to stop at Grannies Kitchen which will be serving up deep-dish terror including ghoulash and kidney pie among other macabre fare.
The ‘gang’ has been in the planning and building stage since last November.
“It‘s pretty much a full-time job,” said Lorrie. “We try to have a monthly meeting to keep everyone involved informed.”
Although the staff has changed over the seven years the haunted house has been there, the goal continues to be the same; to entertain and give back to the community.
Last month the house was vandalized leaving the crew to fix a broken window and door, along with other property damage. Benton County Sheriff’s office responded and investigated. Although the team was shocked and disappointed by the damage, they didn‘t let this random act detour them from their goal of opening on time.
“It was nothing that could not be repaired,” said Lorrie, “but instead of spending our day building, our time was spent re-securing the house.” Purchasing security cameras is next on the to-do list.
Although the age limit for the haunted house isn’t specific, Lorrie says it’s probably not recommended for very small children, although they have roamers who work the guests in the Q-line to spread word through the house if things need to be toned down for a particular group.
Scare & Share thanks the community members who have supported them over the years. Community support is the key to Scare & Share‘s success.

photo by Kevin O’Hare
This year’s haunted house build gang from left to right is Lorrie O’Hare, Nick Zinni, Katie Maixner, Steve Perritt and Karl Roler. Not pictured are Justin Aune, Matt Perritt and Darrell Brummett.
“They all donate their time and skills, and are deeply valued as Scare & Share members,” said Lorrie.

Leave a Reply

*
Advertise Here

Advertise Here